Some sisters never more at home than when traveling abroad

August 11, 2009

Not that I didn’t already know this, but I’m always thrilled to hear about black women out there who, American or other passports in hand, eagerly take off for trips to places where we’re not always sure if there will be lots of other folks who look like “us “when we get there. But we go anyway, and often return home with fresh eyes.

Take American Black Chick in London. We met “virtually” through her fabulous blog of the same name, as she’s finishing up her M.A. dissertation in London this summer and looking for work that will extend her excellent European adventure. Not only do I love her fresh perspective on being a young African-American sister overseas, but admire her fearless spirit, especially when it comes to taking on the world on her own terms.

American Black Chick just got back from a two-week jaunt to Italy, Switzerland and Liechtenstein and dished a bit about the trip. Read about her “random musings,” and her answers to my questions about the “black chick” experience in these three very different countries.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

• 1. American Black Chick in London  |  August 14, 2009 at 3:27 pm

I just realized you mentioned me by name on your blog. I feel so honored!

• 2. urbantravelgirl  |  August 14, 2009 at 3:33 pm

OF COURSE!!! You truly are an inspiration — and obviously not just to me, but to all the folks who regularly check your blog to see what you’re doing or thinking. It’s funny — I always wonder what my life would be like if I had had your perspective and determination to be “global” in my early to mid-20s, rather than jumping into all this after turning 30. I probably would have been living abroad all this time, and would have been nowhere near Chicago. But I suppose we learn the lessons we need at the time that’s ultimately best. Still, it would have been nice to get a head start on all this fabulousness! LOL

• 3. ann  |  November 20, 2009 at 8:45 pm

I am admire all of you AA women who travel the globe.

• 4. urbantravelgirl  |  November 20, 2009 at 8:51 pm

Hi, Ann –
    Thanks for visiting my blog! And I admire all of the strong, smart and bold African-American (and OTHER) women out there letting the world experience them in all their fabulousness! Let’s keep it up, ladies!

• 5. ann  |  November 21, 2009 at 12:25 pm

I wonder if American Black Chick got to see the AA princess in Liechtenstein?

• 6. urbantravelgirl  |  November 21, 2009 at 1:12 pm

Hello, Ann –
    That’s a GOOD question about the black princess in Lichtenstein, apparently the ONLY black royal in Europe! For the rest of you sisters out there wondering if you’ll ever find your PRINCE, it looks like Panama-born Princess Angela went out and married hers some years ago! Check out the photos here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=824746

Ann, thanks for the reminder that fairy tales do come true. And if Disney can finally introduce a black princess (Princess Tiana in “The Princess and the Frog”), surely anything’s possible, right?