Want the REAL scoop on ‘Black Paris?’ A new guidebook from a Chicago sister shares its secrets

June 12, 2010

Talk about taking a guide book to another level. Chicago author Kiratiana Freelon hooks up travelers who want to explore all facets of "Black Paris" during visits to the City of Light.

As you UrbanTravelGirl readers know, Paris is my favorite place on the planet. Someone this week asked me why I love it so, and I didn’t have to think long before responding, “The diversity.” Sure, Paris is THE quintessential French city, but a huge part of what makes it so special for me, an African-American woman, is the presence of black folks from throughout the Diaspora. You’ll meet black folks from African former French colonies including Togo, Senegal, Mali, and Côte d’Ivoire. From French Caribbean “overseas regions” such as Martinique and Guadeloupe. And black American expatriates from all over the States.

And whereas most “mainstream” travel guidebooks gloss over their presence (if they mention them at all), Chicago author Kiratiana Freelon jumps all over it in her new book, Kiratiana’s Travel Guide to Black Paris: Get Lost and Get Found (Eunique Press, $19.95). An African-American Harvard grad who’s visited more than 25 countries in her young life and spent time living in Paris, she uncovers GREAT finds all over Paris (and beyond, as well).

Check out the post I wrote for “TCW Travel Connection” (http://bit.ly/a2x0hY) on Freelon’s fabulous new book. Even diehard Paris lovers will discover LOADS they didn’t know and will eagerly be planning their next trip to the City of Light. Be sure to pick it up!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

• 1. America Tour » Blog&hellip  |  June 12, 2010 at 7:30 pm

[...] Source: urbantravelgirl [...]

• 2. When to travel  |  June 14, 2010 at 6:27 am

When is the best time to travel to a destination? We combine user reviews with information about the cheapest flights, best hotel prices, and best weather at each destination to determine when to go there. You can also pick a vacation time and we will show you the best places to go at that time!
    Visit:
    Best time to travel

• 3. Kim  |  June 26, 2010 at 9:34 am

Hey Maureen,
    I have some clients that I’m sending to Paris this August. Can you recommend a day spa near the Arc de Triomphe and a really cool place to celebrate an 18th birthday? Thanks

• 4. urbantravelgirl  |  June 29, 2010 at 11:22 am

Salut, Kim!
    You know, the only “day spa” of a sort that I’ve done in Paris isn’t super-close to the Arc de Triomphe, but it’s easily reachable. It’s Lancome, which stands at the SUPER-chic address of 29 Rue de Faubourg Saint-Honore, surrounded by every top designer shop you can imagine. I make it a point to stop here for a fab massage during nearly every trip to Paris. It’s a fairly brief cab ride from the Arc and the Champs-Elysees — and if you’re a subway rider, not far at all from the Madeleine stop.

As for a place to celebrate an 18th birthday, I’m stumped. I don’t know many young people — and certainly not many fortunate enough to become “adults” in the City of Light.

Anybody out there got suggestions for Kim on the birthday tip?

• 5. Kim  |  July 5, 2010 at 6:10 am

Thanks Maureen,
    Will add Lancome to my list. I found another that’s been getting good reviews. It’s called Cinq Mondes on de L’Opera Louis Jouvet. FYI

Like you, I’m age challenged when it comes to the younger generations.

• 6. roadtourscr  |  July 8, 2010 at 3:51 am

woww.. great article.. allow me to bookmark it buddy :) thanks for sharing, keep posting :D

• 7. Joanne T  |  August 17, 2010 at 11:22 pm

HI Maureen,

My husband, myself and 6 month old daughter are looking to travel/ live in France for a month. We are from the US and are looking to take in the culture, food and langauge. We hope to this all with out having to pay the over-priced cost of living in paris but also just being in an relaxed an scenic town/city. Any thoughts and advice? Would any of these cities happend to be just as racially diverse, please give us your thoughts and advice.
    Joanne

• 8. BMW guy  |  September 29, 2010 at 10:30 am

Amazing post thanks!

• 9. Myra  |  December 21, 2010 at 12:07 pm

What single city or province is the most diverse in France? Where is the weather the nicest? How do I find the most vacation for money? I need help!!