Venus Williams’ new book ‘Come to Win’ gets STRONG assist from travel writer and former black Italy expatriate Kelly E. Carter

July 5, 2010

I’m TOTALLY proud of my good friend, Delta Sigma Theta sorority sister, and former fellow Italy expatriate Kelly Carter, for co-authoring Venus Williams’ FABULOUS brand-new tome, Come To Win: Business Leaders, Artists, Doctors, and Other Visionaries on How Sports Can Help You Top Your Profession (Amistad, $25.99). This incredible new hardback features Venus talking to some of the world’s most impressive folks—from former President Bill Clinton to Four Seasons Hotels founder Isadore Sharp, from Virgin Group’s Sir Richard Branson to global chef extraordinaire Marcus Samuelsson—about how taking part in sports helped drive their success in a host of other fields.

And Kelly should know. A former sportswriter for some of America’s top newspapers, she covered national and international sports for USA Today, the Dallas Morning News, the Orange County Register, and many others. And she’s no stranger to the famous folks’ beat, either, having covered celebrities for People Magazine, USA Today, and other global publications.

A travel writer who’s literally circled the globe (I’ve lost count of how many countries she’s visited), Kelly and I met during our days as fellow sistergirl expats in bella Italia. And after she and Venus wrapped up Come To Win this spring, this first-class Italophile took herself for several weeks to the south of France and Italy (where she stayed in the gorgeous southern Italian resort town of Tropea) for some maxing and relaxing. As I always tell Kelly, I want to be like HER when I finally grow up!

So check out Come To Win and Venus Williams during her nationwide book tour (Chicago folks, she’ll be at the Borders Store @ Randolph and State on July 9!)–and while you’re at it, check out “Kelly’s Corner,”  a blog which features Ms. Carter’s musings on travel, life, men, you name it. You’ll find yourself alternately inspired and laughing out loud!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

• 1. Kelly  |  July 5, 2010 at 8:35 pm

Ciao Marine!
    Thanks for making me sound so fabulous. I’m like, “Who is this woman? I want to meet her.” And thanks for giving the book pub. Venus starts her book tour tomorrow. I’ll catch up with her in D.C., where she speaks to the National Press Club on Wednesday.
    You know Venus is one of us and loves Italy too. Not sure she would ever become an ex-pat but when she was in Rome recently she Tweeted about an apartment there. Hmmm, now if I could only get her to buy one that I would maintain for her until she was ready to visit. And then I would head to the seaside.
    Ah, life would be grand.

Un abbraccio,

Kelly

• 2. urbantravelgirl  |  July 6, 2010 at 5:44 am

How COOL to know that Venus also is an Italophile!!! A woman after our own hearts, for sure.

And SI — encourage her to pick up that flat in Rome. SURELY you’d take great care of it for her… and then you could be her Italian translator when she’s able to visit. :-) PERFETTO, I must say!

Marina

• 3. America Tour » Blog&hellip  |  July 7, 2010 at 7:07 am

[...] Source: urbantravelgirl [...]

• 4. Sandy  |  July 20, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Thanks for putting us all on to Venus book w/Kellys. It’s good to see the sistas progressing so beautifully! Check out another sista who is travelling the country & Caribbean reporting on ALL things Caribbean and entertainment:
    http://www.RedCarpetShelley.com. She is also launching the 2nd season of her show “Lyme Tyme w/Red Carpet Shelley”. Let’s talk…Sandy

• 5. urbantravelgirl  |  July 22, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Hola, Sandy — and thanks for visiting! Will happily check out the RedCarpetShelley website… always cool to see sisters doing cool and amazing things around the globe!

• 6. Travel Guides to Branson  |  November 3, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Hi
    Its a wonderful post. I like this and i appreciate the work. Enjoyed it.

BransonRatings.com – Know the show before you go. Get customer ratings and professional recommendations.

• 7. Air Conflicts Secret Wars  |  October 17, 2011 at 8:47 am

Download Air Conflicts Secret Wars For Xbox360

• 8. lekarze z bedzina  |  October 17, 2011 at 2:38 pm

I just discovered using Joomla for dynamic website design but feel the limitation on use of templates is a major minus. I think it should be possible to use my own template in the design. Anyone help?.