See the world … if only through a novel

August 27, 2012

Bonjour et bonsoir, mes amis!! I know it’s been awhile since I’ve shared my French adventures, but all is well on this side of the Atlantic. I promise to update you shortly on my thoughts about spending my first full summer in France—and my ongoing adjustments to expat life.

But in the meantime, UrbanTravelGirl is sharing this space with author and playwright Melda Beaty, a super-talented, Chicago-based sister (AND one of my proud Delta Sigma Theta sorority sisters!) whose debut novel, LIME, takes us on a trip around the world through the pages of a book (and an eBook for you Kindle carriers). My fellow word-lovers know what a delicious adventure that can be … so enjoy this guest post from Melda and check out LIME for yourself!

Melda Beaty, author of the newly released novel, LIME

For 40 years, my life revolved around a few states in the United States. My origins began in Mississippi but quickly transplanted me to Chicago, Illinois, when I was a few weeks old.  Growing up, I went on family vacations in different U.S. states, but traveled more during my college and adult years. However, it wasn’t until my 40th birthday that I got to take a trip that most only dream about. Me, a little black girl from the West Side of Chicago, boarded a plane headed to London and while there boarded another plane to Amsterdam. Despite the cool and gray 60-degree temperatures in the month of August, I thanked God every morning for allowing me to experience life 3,900 miles away from my comfort zone.

I’m not sure what gave birth to my fascination with other cultures. I’ve been a Travel Channel junkie for as long as I can remember. While others watch “Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern” and Anthony Bourdain’s “No Reservations” for the food, I fixate on the culture that produces the food. I am drawn to the language, customs, beliefs … the overall way of life of people living happily overseas.

LIME takes readers on an often-glamorous tour around the world.

This “draw” found its way into my brand-new novel, LIME (CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, $14.95). The heroine, Lime Prince, is the best mixture of different cultures and places that my imagination could conceive. Her Ethiopian/Jamaican genes accented with lime-green eyes afford her a life as an international supermodel. Like mine, Lime’s beginnings were in Chicago, Illinois. When her Ethiopian mother takes her back to Brixton—the wonderfully vibrant and heavily African-Caribbean neighborhood in London—where the Amde family resides, Lime gets to experience this world-class city with its double-decker buses, Buckingham Palace, old CoolTan building, St. Matthew Westminster, and more.  From there, she finds herself in Johannesburg, South Africa or E’goli (a “place of gold,” as the city is called by the locals) with its cornucopia of black faces, diverse languages, wildlife, and vitality.

With runway shows and fashion photo shoots in Paris, Milan, and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, LIME takes you, the reader, along for these around-the-world adventures. However, in the midst of her fairy-tale life, she is forced to confront the realities of violence against women. This juxtaposition of beauty and violence, and glamour with pain eventually takes Lime to the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Like Lime, I’m not done seeing the world. If you follow her, I promise you will see it, too, if only in a novel … for now.

Melda Beaty is an author, playwright, English lecturer, and educational consultant. She currently teaches English at South University. You can read more about LIME at MeldaCreates.com, Amazon.com, and now on Kindle.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

• 1. BJ Gosha  |  August 28, 2012 at 9:15 am

Hello Urban Travel Girl,
    Like your blog …….very informative with flare!

BJG

• 2. BJ Gosha  |  August 28, 2012 at 9:24 am

Hello Urban Travel Girl,
    I happen to stumble across your website as I am planning a European vacation trip in 2013. Your blog is very interesting, educational and adventurous! Also, it’s nice that you have allow us to get a birdseye view from your perspective and experience traveling abroad…… In addition, given Ms. Melda a platform to showcase and reach new and existing viewers’ to your website. Your blog is informative with a flare!!
    Soulful Peace,
    BJ

• 3. Antoinette Walker  |  August 28, 2012 at 9:51 am

This sounds intriguing. And, I look forward to the updates on your summer adventures. Blessings. Antoinette

• 4. urbantravelgirl  |  August 28, 2012 at 11:49 am

Salut, BJ — and thanks SO much for visiting!! Glad you got to read a bit about Melda Beaty’s LIME … pick it up on Amazon.com in both paperback and eBook form!

Cheers,

• 5. urbantravelgirl  |  August 28, 2012 at 11:51 am

BONJOUR, Mademoiselle Antoinette … and MERCI for the shout-out, my dear!! It’s been way too long — we need to chat and catch up about BOTH of our overseas adventures!!

Talk soon,

• 6. Julia Browne  |  December 23, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Thanks for bringing this to light. It sounds like a must-ead over the holidays!

• 7. Ruth  |  December 23, 2012 at 9:12 pm

I plan travel events for women who are Avid Readers. I am sure they will be interested n your book, Lime. Please also check out my website, http://www.literarysisters.com. We are off on a Mediterranean Cruise in October 2013 which ends with a weekend in Rome.

• 8. urbantravelgirl  |  December 24, 2012 at 3:13 am

Dear Ruth,
    MERCI BEAUCOUP for your note … and for introducing us to your LiterarySisters.com website and activities. Your organization sounds AMAZING — sisters who love to read and travel. LOVE IT!! Perhaps we can collaborate on something at some point … and keep up the amazing work!

Cheers,

• 9. urbantravelgirl  |  December 24, 2012 at 3:14 am

Thank YOU, Julia, for taking a look at the post. And YES — please check out Melda’s novel. Nothing like traveling the world through the (literal or electronic) pages of a book!

Cheers,