Tips for sisters on ‘hooking up’ their hair when traveling abroad, Part Deux

January 10, 2010

Here I am in my two-strand twists, visiting an archeological site in rural eastern Turkey near the Armenian border. My carefree hair made a culturally challenging trip way less stressful.

During a break from a wine-tasting tour, I'm standing in front of the Pont d'Avignon in the lovely Provencal town of Avignon. And this is me some days AFTER my stop to a black hair-care supply shop in Nice. Thank goodness black folks literally live everywhere!

Late last month, I wrote about the “hair issues” we black women often face when traveling abroad—and promised to offer some tips about handling these when you’re overseas.

When I first traveled to Europe in the late 1990s, visiting a friend who worked on a U.S. Army base in Germany, I was doing the relaxed hair thing, toting multiple curling irons and assorted lotions and potions in my always-overstuffed suitcase. But once I started hitting the road with friends, all those curling irons became a royal pain. What a hassle to constantly be plugging in, moving irons from one room to the other, waiting for them to cool down before you could pack them, etc. And then there was always the issue of “what if it rains?”

Now that I’ve been wearing two-strand twist extensions for most of the past five years, that’s no longer a concern. BUT, I have gotten overseas and much to my dismay, realized that I forgot to pack my favorite olive oil sheen or softening lotion. This, my friends, can be a challenge—especially since overseas trips tend to last for more than just a weekend.

But if you find yourself in a city—especially in Europe—and have arrived sans products, I’ve discovered that black folks and Arabs (who frequently have similar hair textures as ours) often live near the city’s main train station. Perhaps it’s the “immigrant effect,” the fact that newer arrivals to a place often live close to the vehicles that bring them. So if these folks first arrive via train, inexpensive housing in the surrounding area might be their first stop.

When I lived in Florence, Italy, between 2004 and 2005, I (mercifully) found the Nigerian-owned barber shop/salon where I got my twist touch-ups done a couple streets away from the city’s Santa Maria Novella train station. (My young stylist Nina would hook up my twists, while her barber shop-owning brother took care of the African and Arab bros in the adjoining room.) I know that Africans live near Rome’s massive Termini station, as I once found myself strolling through the ‘hood in search of an Ethiopian eatery.

And when visiting the south of France last spring, I didn’t pack my Organic Root Stimulator olive oil sheen spray (as usual, my bag was too full and something had to give). But I figured that once I got to the more cosmopolitan town of Nice, surely I’d use my limited French to find some black folks and some hair spray. So after leaving the city’s main train station, I walked half a block to an Internet café with an Arab guy at the counter. Grateful he spoke some English, I asked, “Where can I find a salon for people with hair like this?” as I gently fingered my twists. OF COURSE, there was one right around the block—and hanging out nearby on street corners were African and Arab men,  just as brothers often do here in the States. It was like I’d never left the South Side of Chicago.

Not only did I find a salon owned by a kind African woman, but she directed me down the block to a black hair-care supply store where I found EVERYTHING I needed, and then some. I’ve made a mental note of the salon’s and store’s street so next time I’m in the south of France and need a hook-up, I am SO there.

Which leads to my next point: do some research BEFORE you leave home. You aren’t planning to find yourself in a massive rainstorm on your next trip, but what if it happens and you aren’t adept at wielding a flat iron and fixing your OWN ‘do? Might be wise to have the name and phone number of a salon in the place you’re going. Think of it like stashing just-in-case antibiotics or a first-aid kit. If you’re headed to Central Europe, EbonyPrague.com can take care of your hair. If you’re going to the UK (thankfully, with black folks galore), check out ItzCaribbean.com for a host of hair salons throughout the metro London area. And if you’re traveling elsewhere in the world, BlackGirlTravel.com, where founder Fleacé Weaver creates and leads customized tours for groups of African-American women to countries around the world, you’ll find salon listings from Amsterdam to Hong Kong to Dubai. Talk about hooking a sista up!

And just as our moms always told us to use a clean bathroom whenever we found one (since the next ones might be few and far-between), if you’re strolling down some foreign street and see a either a black/ethnic hair salon or barber shop, drop in and ask for a business card. You may not be planning to get your “hair did” in Madrid, but if your curling iron suddenly blows out or a downpour trashes your bob, you’ll be glad you know where to get your ‘do back on again. Think of it as “hair insurance.”

I’d love to hear YOUR tips—as well as about your overseas hair experiences and how you handle your tresses on the road. Feel free to share!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

• 1. Elizabeth  |  January 11, 2010 at 5:40 am

hey maureen! saw your comment on cassandra’s blog, and just wanted to thank you for reading mine! i’m enjoying reading this blog as well, it’s great! if you ever have time, i’d love to talk about life post medill! :)

• 2. Elizabeth  |  January 11, 2010 at 5:41 am

oh and i can totally relate to the hair thing…my hair is thick and curly, and never easy to deal with :)

• 3. urbantravelgirl  |  January 12, 2010 at 3:43 am

Hey there, Elizabeth — thanks for stopping by! Congrats on your internship in Qatar… sounds AMAZING! I love to hear about women embracing challenge — and as someone who’s traveled in Saudi Arabia, I know life definitely can be interesting for Western women in the MIddle East. But WELL worth it!

I would LOVE to chat about life post-Medill (but believe me, being a student is more fun!). Let me know when, and ENJOY your time in Qatar!

• 4. Devin  |  January 21, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Hi Maureen!

I’m a student from Southern California and I’m applying to study in Paris this fall. I’ve never traveled abroad and I’m so excited but unfortunately, I have been stressing about, of all things, what to do with my hair when I get there. My hair is long and very thick and I usually get a press and curl or when I do it naturally I have to have my mom help me comb it and braid it because there is just so much of it! I tried a relaxer and it was a disaster…the relaxer is just about done growing out and its been almost 4 years.

Anywho, its nice to know that other women are having this issue too and figuring out ways to deal with it! Have you ever gotten your hair done in Paris? :)

• 5. urbantravelgirl  |  January 24, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Bonsoir, Devin — and thanks for checking out my blog!! SO fabulous that you’re hoping to get to Paris to study… I’ll bet you fall madly in love with it when you get there!

The GREAT thing about Paris is that there are SO many black folks living there, thanks largely to immigrants from France’s former colonies in Africa and the Caribbean. So you should have no trouble finding a place to get your hair hooked up.

I can imagine that you can get a press-and-curl somewhere in Paris, but perhaps you can consider getting your natural hair twisted or some other low-maintenance style? I just can’t imagine having to deal with all the hair stuff IN ADDITION to having to learn a new culture, way of life, possibly language, etc. Make it easy on yourself, as my mom would say, and save yourself at least ONE headache.

I’ve never gotten my hair done in Paris, but HAVE ANY OF YOU OUT THERE? Please share, if you have!

I’d Google “Paris” and “hair salons” to see what you come up with… or once you get there, ask an English-speaking black woman on the street where she goes to get her hair done. You know we all go SOMEWHERE!

Bonne chance,

• 6. Dorothy H.  |  January 25, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Hello Maureen,

I just discovered your blog. I love hearing about African-American women getting out of ordinary! Also, thanks for the great insights regarding the “hair thing”. I am looking forward to traveling abroad this year (hopefully France and Italy) sans the required hair products and styling tools that my formerly permed, down my back hair needed. I have been wearing my natural curly hair short for the last year and talk about freedom! ; ) Anyway, keep us posted and happy and safe travels! Peace and blessings!

• 7. Dani  |  January 31, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Hi Maureen,

I’m like you and wear my hair natural. However, I had just cut my hair before I came to Spain and my father thought that I should equip myself with the address and phone numbers of some salons that catered to black hair. I haven’t had to use them (and doubt I will), but just in case I ever need it, I have their information stored in a binder in my room.

However, the closest city that I could go to to get my hair done is about an hour away and I don’t have a car. Furthermore, I’m not confident that I could direct someone about what to do to my hair in Spanish. With that being said, I’m super happy that I’m natural.

• 8. urbantravelgirl  |  February 2, 2010 at 3:38 am

Ciao e Salut, Dorothy — and thanks for visiting my blog! Yes, travel can be challenging enough without worrying about our hair. Safe travels to YOU when you head to France and Italy!

• 9. urbantravelgirl  |  February 2, 2010 at 3:40 am

Dani,
    Your dad is a SMART man! Always better to have those black hair salon phone numbers and not need them than to be over in Spain and not HAVE them! (Are you there in school, or working?)

You might not know how to direct a hairdresser about what to do with your hair, but find the “colored folks” and SOMEONE will know how to hook you up! LOL

• 10. Assisted Living City  |  February 23, 2010 at 11:50 pm

It is such a nice and useful blog that i come daily to read this blog it has got all the informative stuff that i wanted to know about the postings on this blog are really great thanks for sharing such an important and useful stuff.

• 11. Stephanny  |  February 25, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Hi Maureen,

I am actually studying abroad in Florence and would really appreciate it if you could give me the name of the hair salon you went to that is by Santa Maria Novella. I relax my hair and would find it really helpful to locate a salon that knows how to deal with relaxed hair.

Thanks,

Stephanny

• 12. urbantravelgirl  |  February 27, 2010 at 11:57 pm

Ciao, Stephanny –
    You know, it’s been five years since I lived in Florence and sadly, I can’t remember the name of the salon! But I know it was on Borgo Ognissanti. The best way I can explain for you to get there — or to check out if it’s STILL there — is to walk down Borgo Ognissanti starting at Piazza Ognissanti. You’ll know this square because it’s home to the fancy Grand Hotel on one side and the Excelsior on the other — and on the piazza’s opposite side is the Arno River and Lungarno Amerigo Vespucci (the street that runs alongside the Arno at this point.)

Walk toward Santa Maria Novella and on the right side of the street was the barber shop/hair salon where Nigerian stylist Nina worked (her brother owned the shop, and worked in the front). I wish I could remember the name or the phone number, but this should at least get you started.

Let me know if you find it!!!

Buona fortuna,

• 13. urbantravelgirl  |  February 28, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Stephanny,
    I ran across the name and phone number of ANOTHER black hair salon in Florence. When I was there, it was called Black Beauty, and was located at via Ginori, 44r — not too far from the San Lorenzo market. Here’s a Web page with the phone number and a map with the location:

GOOD LUCK!

Maureen/UrbanTravelGirl

• 14. roni  |  March 15, 2010 at 7:52 am

Hey Devin,

I lived in Paris for a few years and getting your hair done shouldn’t be an issue. The American man I went to isn’t in the salon I went to & I have no idea where he is (his name is Frankie, and was great so if you come across him somewhere, go to him!) but there is a place called Kanelia (I think that’s how it’s spelled). They have multiple locations throughout Paris and there is one on the Champs on the right hand side if you are facing the Arch. They don’t do as well as Americans but they will do fine.
    If you wear braids you can get those done in the 10th, there are multiple salons (and I use the word salon lightly) on Blvd. de Strasbourg, I think it’s metro chateau d’eau. There will be guys standing at the top of the metro trying to get you to go to their salons. I would not recommend getting your hair done at these salons, just get braids. Oh, and bring your own hair from home. The hair is Paris isn’t the greatest. I always brought hair with me cause I can’t stand the hair there. Hope that helps!

And Maureen, love the blog!

• 15. urbantravelgirl  |  March 17, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Salut, Roni — and thanks for visiting my blog! (I love your “Flights of Fancy” blog, too — looks like you think and write about food as much as I do… and since I’m a part-time freelance food writer, I get to blame it on the “profession!”)

I was JUST in Paris last month and went with Ricki Stevenson of Black Paris Tours to the 10th arrondisement… and I ran into all the brothers on the street trying to get us to stop in their hair salons. I’ve never seen so many concentrated in one place in my LIFE!

When I lived in Florence from 2004-2005, I ALWAYS brought top-quality hair for two-strand twist extensions with me from the States… and just had my Nigerian stylist reuse THAT. You’re right — the quality of the weaves and hair extensions in Europe is often questionable and “wiggy,” at best.

Thanks so much for sharing!

• 16. Nikita  |  March 17, 2010 at 10:29 pm

Love this post! Just did a similar one on hair-care whilst abroad…
    When I first moved to France in 2004-2005, I had a perm. it wasn’t too difficult to find somebody over there for the reasons you stated. But getting products was definitely an issue.

When I lived in Mexico from 2007-2008, I had soooo many problems trying to find someone that I ended up just getting a set of extensions and keeping them in for 6 months until I went home for a week and got them re-done. My hair was natural, but I couldn’t bother with the maintenance so extensions was the way to go.

Now that I’m living in Hong Kong, I have dredlocks that I get maintained at a salon with a latch-hook. It’s wonderful to be able to travel and not worry about bringing ANY hair products at all… Incidentally the girl who does my hair is Vietnamese!

• 17. EbonyPrague  |  March 27, 2010 at 4:01 am

Thanks for featuring us on your blog.

Ebony Prague is run by a travelling sister too, the business was set up for the reasons we can all relate to on here. We would gladly ship to all nooks and cranies and little cities around Europe and even Asia…….that was our initial objective it stays the same.

Liz @ Ebonyprague :-)!

• 18. urbantravelgirl  |  April 5, 2010 at 2:36 am

Liz, thanks for visiting — and for sharing! I had no idea your business also SHIPPED products. Glad to know we literally ARE everywhere!

• 19. Jenae  |  April 19, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Hey Maureen,

I was just surfing the web looking for black hair salons trying to prepare for my trip to Spain in October. I’ll be there for about a year with the Cultural Ambassadors program. My hair is natural as well, but i’m still getting used to it. I’ve been wearing it straight (flat ironed) because I haven’t had any luck with products to make it look good in its natural state. Do you know of any salons in the MADRID/BARCELONA a area?

I read DANI’S post and was wondering if she could inform me of the salons she knew of as well. I would love and appreciate any help or advice. Maybe even meet up or something. I’m kinda nervous because It will be my first time traveling outside the US and solo :-/ , but it’s something i’ve always wanted to do.

Your blog is really great, and ANY ADVICE FROM YOU AND OTHERS IS WELCOME!!!! :)

THANKS!!
    ~Jenae

• 20. urbantravelgirl  |  April 21, 2010 at 6:44 am

Hola, Jenae — and CONGRATULATIONS on your upcoming year in Spain! How cool that this will be your first time traveling outside the States — and solo! — but you’re jumping in with both feet. BRAVA!!

Unfortunately, I DON’T know of any black hair salons in Madrid or Barcelona. But I THOUGHT BlackAtlas.com, the Web site American Airlines uses to encourage black folks to travel, had a Nelson George video about it. Here’s a link to one (http://www.blackatlas.com/city/landing/2764/Madrid). Hopefully he talks hair in it, but I’m almost positive he did in one of his earlier ones.

Any other UrbanTravelGirls out there who know about BLACK HAIR SALONS IN MADRID OR BARCELONA?? Please give a shout and help Jenae hook her hair up!

Thanks so much for visiting my blog — and I hope others respond!

Safe travels,

• 21. alison mckenzie  |  April 22, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Hi. Alison in Austria here. Glad I found this post.

• 22. hitch mount bike rack  |  June 1, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Gracias!good quality points you high light in this article. I’m not in its entirety together with you, though enjoyed to learn your view point on this subject.

• 23. hitch bike racks  |  June 1, 2010 at 9:04 pm

I truly relished your article, and now have bookmarked it on my delicious, mr wong, stumble accounts.The content is easy and to the level.

• 24. Misha in Paris  |  June 3, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Thank you sooo much for this post i am in paris studying abroad for the summer and i forgot to bring styling products and i have short natural very thick curly hair ive been dying to find places to buy products because they pharmacies here are very expensive and have nothing i know…uve definately put me on the right track

• 25. America Tour » Blog&hellip  |  June 10, 2010 at 8:48 am

[...] Source: urbantravelgirl [...]

• 26. Betz  |  July 12, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Hi!

Thanks so much for the insight! I, like many other commenters, am planning on studying abroad for one year in Europe. Destination: Roma! One of the biggest worries I have is what I will do about my hair. I am currently wearing a curly perm, and am unsure if there are any salons in Rome or Italy for that matter that offer this service for African Americans. Does anyone know of any? Please, any information given would be of the greatest help!

Ciao!

T. Betz

• 27. crystal  |  October 17, 2010 at 1:37 pm

hey ive got an african american salon in barcalona …ive been and they do a great job … ill put a link above. of the information

• 28. crystal  |  October 17, 2010 at 1:38 pm

• 29. urbantravelgirl  |  October 18, 2010 at 3:06 am

Ciao, Crystal — and THANKS for the Barcelona hair salon hook-up! I didn’t know of any in that city, so we appreciate you sharing… might have to check it out next time I’m in Barca!

Happy Travels,

• 30. Briana  |  November 24, 2010 at 10:16 am

Hi. My name is Briana and Spring 2011 I will be studying abroad in Florence Italy. I would absolutely Love to know where the black hair salon is there that you went to. I have been really worried about what I was going to do with my hair when I got over there. I need to get a relaxer every few weeks and I dont wear weaves and things like that so I need to find a salon. I would appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks!

• 31. skye  |  November 26, 2010 at 8:04 pm

Hey,

Your blog is extremely helpful, however I am actually studying about in Latin America, Chile to be exact. I am planning to get braids for about two monthes while im down there but after that I’m not sure what I am going to do. I know this is a strech but I was wondering if you happened to know of salons in Chile in the santiago are or anyone that has ever mentioned one. I’m desperate!!

Thanks so much!

Skye

• 32. Keli Stodder  |  December 21, 2010 at 8:27 am

Oooh, you’re such an inspiration. I love this blog!

• 33. Tina  |  February 15, 2011 at 7:28 am

BG in Lisbon, Portugal.

One of the reasons I went natural is because I was traveling so much and I don’t even trust Americans I don’t know to do my hair.

Anyway, in Lisbon there are a set of salons near Baixa-Chiado/Rossio metro station, near the Mundial Hotel. They even had a special on lacefronts when I passed by the other day.
    I haven’t needed to go as of yet cause I have braids, but IF I decide to go to a salon, I’ll check there first probably.

Love the blog, been lurking for awhile. Check me out at:
    Americanworkingabroad.tumblr.com

• 34. urbantravelgirl  |  February 15, 2011 at 6:19 pm

HELLO there, Tina — and SO glad you’ve been lurking but decided to leave a comment! :-) I’m going to check YOUR blog out right now!!

ABSOLUTELY love Lisbon!! And I don’t know why I didn’t realize there would be so many black folks — obviously I was forgetting Portugal’s colonial history! But what a wonderful surprise when I got to Lisbon and saw all our folks on the streets. Glad to know I could move to Lisbon and still get my hair hooked up!

Safe travels,

• 35. Amber  |  February 17, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Hi Maureen!

I’ve recently began my 3 months of living abroad, in France. Currently, I have 2 strand/kinky twists in my hair but it looks like they aren’t gonna make it very long. So for break, a friend and I are traveling to London. Any tips on the best places to get braids?

I love your blog! So happy I’ve found it!

• 36. urbantravelgirl  |  February 17, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Salut, Amber — and good for you for spending three months in one of my favorite countries!! Thanks ALSO for visiting my blog and for your nice words!

Actually, I’ve never had to get my hair done in London, so unfortunately I don’t have a lead for you. BUT LADIES — anyone got ideas about natural hair salons in/near London?

Not sure where in France you are, but there are black folks ALL over Paris, Nice and Marseilles. I’d think you could find a good spot in one of those cities that can keep your hair hooked up during your stay.

AGAIN, UrbanTravelGirls… any SPECIFIC natural hair salon names for Amber in La France?

Bon voyage,

• 37. Amber  |  February 19, 2011 at 3:54 am

Maureen,

Yesterday, my group visited Tours, which is about 45 mins away from where I live. I wish I could speak french fluently cause those sisters were hooked up! Anyone know of places in Tours or cities around it that can cater to a mostly english speaker? And would it be best to have hair sent to me from home? I heard the kinds here aren’t the best.

Thanks Ladies!

• 38. urbantravelgirl  |  February 20, 2011 at 10:51 am

Bonjour, Amber –
    Wish I could help you out on the Tours front, but I can’t! But I wouldn’t let your lack of fluency keep me from finding out about where those sisters go to get their hair done. A couple of suggestions: Have a friend of yours who IS fluent in French write out a few key phrases for you about hair (“Do you know where I can get my hair done?” “Does anyone in the salon speak English?”) and take it from there.

One thing I suggested in a previous UrbanTravelGirl post is to keep an eye out near medium- to large-city train stations for salons. People of color in cities like Nice, Florence and Rome tend to live near such places — and I’ve ALWAYS found black hair salons nearby. I’ve twice just walked into salons (in Nice and Florence) and was fortunate to find some in each who spoek English. You just have to make the effort!

As for ordering hair for extensions, I’ve never done it in Europe, so I can’t say. But http://www.itsyours.net here in the States is incredible and has super-high-quality human hair. Perhaps you should order it, have it sent to a family member or friend in the States, and have them mail it to you in France.

Good luck with your hair, ma cherie. I KNOW it’s not easy to keep yourself hooked up, but it CAN be done!

Safe travels,

• 39. Adrienne  |  February 23, 2011 at 8:57 am

Love the article, right now I am in Vicenza, Italy. Will be here for about 3 years. I have natural hair and would love to know if you know of a salon or someone that does natural hair ie…twists, braids and such. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Adrienne

• 40. urbantravelgirl  |  February 26, 2011 at 9:08 am

Ciao, Adrienne –
    AUGURI! What are you going to be doing in Vicenza for the next three years? Working in the military? Studying?

I don’t know of such salons near you, or in the Veneto region of Italy. I’m trying to remember even running into other black folks in Venice or Verona, and I don’t! (Not that they aren’t there, of course.) YOUR best bet may be going to Milan or some city where you KNOW there are likely more Africans and therefore, black hair salons.

I am SO sorry that I can’t remember the name of the shop I used to go to in Florence … but it’s not terribly far from the main Santa Maria Novella train station. Here are some instructions I gave another UrbanTravelGirl reader about how to find it:
    It was on Borgo Ognissanti. The best way I can explain for you to get there — or to check out if it’s STILL there — is to walk down Borgo Ognissanti starting at Piazza Ognissanti. You’ll know this square because it’s home to the fancy Grand Hotel on one side and the Excelsior on the other — and on the piazza’s opposite side is the Arno River and Lungarno Amerigo Vespucci (the street that runs alongside the Arno at this point.)

The other was called “Black Beauty,” and was located at via Ginori, 44r — not too far from the San Lorenzo market. Here’s a Web page with the phone number and a map with the location:

Good luck, mia cara!!!

• 41. KG  |  March 7, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I will actually be studying in Nice this fall and I would love to find a place that could help me maintain my two strand twists. Do you recall the name of the salon and black hair care store that you found in Nice?

• 42. urbantravelgirl  |  March 10, 2011 at 8:17 am

HI there, KG! Actually, I do NOT recall the name of either place, but I tell you what: if you go to the front entrance of the NICE VILLE train station (the main one in town) and turn left, you’ll come to an Internet cafe’ right near the corner of that main street, which is Avenue Jean Medicin. Go into the Internet cafe’ and ask the Arab man who owns it to direct you to the nearby African hair salon. That’s how I found it! (The salon is on a nearby street that runs PARALLEL to Jean Medicin… and once you find IT, the hair care shop isn’t far away.)

Sorry these aren’t precise directions, but I can clearly see all these places in my mind! As I said in my post, you’ll find plenty of black folks near the train station… if the helpful guy isn’t in the Internet cafe’, ask one of them!

Be careful and BONNE CHANCE!

• 43. Leila N.  |  March 16, 2011 at 12:02 am

Hello,
    I love this blog entry!My name is Leila N. and I am starting a company that will target the beauty needs of women of color living/working in Europe and abroad. Having lived in Barcelona for some time and traveling to Paris often, I experienced first-hand the urge to fly back home the the States just to get my precious bottle of Mizani shampoo or conditioner ! I simply couldn’t find enough good/high quality products to continue my haircare regimen…and reality was that I couldn’t afford to fly home for shampoo or pay $40 in shipping fees for 1 bottle of anything. We at Isabis look forward to hearing and listening to your questions/concerns/frustrations as they relate to black hair care in Europe through our forum (website coming soon) so that we can give you access to affordable,quality products online. Your answers to this survey will generate valuable feedback and allow us to cater to hair needs.
    Please copy and paste the link to the survey here: https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dDZOSGJVZzlaMi1tS25meGZhd0pyYXc6MQ

We look forward to your input.

Isabis LLC

• 44. urbantravelgirl  |  March 16, 2011 at 5:07 am

Hola, Leila — and BLESS YOU!!! SO many sisters will be loving you and your website as soon as it’s up and launched. PLEASE be sure to let me know when it’s out there… perhaps you’ll agree to write a guest post on UrbanTravelGirl?? You know that’ll be well-read!

Thanks again for the info,

• 45. Janet  |  April 24, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Hello Maureen,
    I am currenlty in Adana, Turkey and my micros are hanging by their last thread. Please tell me that you know somewhere nearby that I can get these things re-done and quickly.

• 46. urbantravelgirl  |  April 24, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Hello there, Janet –
    And sorry to hear about your hair emergency!!

UNFORTUNATELY, I have NO idea where in Turkey you can go to get microbraids touched up. Anyone out there got suggestions on what nearby town or city she can go to? (Since Incirlik U.S. Air Force Base is fairly close to the city of Adana — and it’s likely there are African-American women on the base — you might want to try contacting someone THERE to see who can refer you to a stylist. I’m just guessing someone on the base probably does hair or knows someone who does!)

GOOD LUCK!

• 47. Stefanie Charity  |  April 25, 2011 at 1:23 pm

HI!
    I read a comment by skye about doing study abroad in Chile. I am a woman of color American married to a Chilean and am having a challenge with the Hair thing as well. I have a cosmetology license and have my husband help me with my hair but the problem is getting products or purchasing products here. THere is no real need for them here. I brought some Affirm relaxer (tub of it) with me and I think with the temp, climate, airplane or whatever, it has weakened in strength. Do you know how I could products shipped here from like Brasil or any other info on Salons would be great! Gracias, Saludos!

• 48. Stefanie Charity  |  April 25, 2011 at 1:24 pm

To be exact, I´m in Concepcion, Chile, the Bio-Bo Region.

• 49. delta15  |  April 26, 2011 at 3:40 pm

hi ladies! i love this blog and all the team work that is going on… I moved to Bacelona (today actually) from the States and will be here for 3 years. I am in bad need of a hair salon in Barcelona. I saw the post Crystal put up and have sent an email to that salon, but I wondered if anyone else had another salon I could possibly visit. My hair is not natural and it is time for a relaxer… big time!! Any help would be great!

• 50. Vox Africa  |  October 17, 2011 at 1:46 am

Urban Travel Girl » Tips for sisters on ‘hooking up’ their hair when traveling abroad, Part Deux. Urban Travel Girl » Tips for sisters on ‘hooking up’ their hair when traveling abroad, Part Deux

• 51. Inspired By Nature&hellip  |  October 17, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Sites We Like…

[...]just below, are some totally unrelated sites to ours, however, they are definitely worth checking out[...]…

• 52. Shantal  |  July 16, 2013 at 9:33 am

Soooo helpful! Thanks for the post. I read a ton about travel and tourism and found it demoralizing how taken for granted something seemingly trivial (really is not!) to others might impact my entire trip. You really put my mind at ease with this post. Now instead of worrying about how to maintain my do, I can put some thought into how exciting my experience abroad for the next year will be. :) Keep it up.

• 53. Traveling shoes  |  June 24, 2014 at 6:15 pm

ebonyprague.com url is invalid

• 54. har  |  October 30, 2014 at 2:24 pm

Hi Urban Travel girl,Thanks for the wonderful blog.Yes,I totally relate with the hair.My hair is very thick and hard to comb.When i was traveling in Finland.I found this shop http://www.naturalbeautyshopfinland.com .They took care of my hair needs so well.They had all hair products a natural girl would need.

Once again,thanks for the wonderful blog!
    XX

• 55. Kim J  |  September 4, 2015 at 5:44 am

That looks amazing on you!!! I’m usually not a big fan of hair extensions, but these look pretty real!

• 56. Arianna  |  January 7, 2016 at 7:34 pm

I am so glad I happened upon your post! Very insightful! I am a African American university student studying in Nice this semester and in desperate search of hair products. Would you be able to share with me the streets you noted of the beauty supply and salon?

• 57. Maureen  |  January 8, 2016 at 7:48 am

Bonjour, Arianna! Very cool you found my UrbanTravelGirl blog (which I’ve been terrible about updating over the past year). But congrats on studying in Nice, truly one of the neatest places I’ve been fortunate enough to visit.

Now I’m not going to remember EXACT streets, but you know the one that the Nice Ville train station is on (Avenue Thiers)? There are several streets that run perpendicular to Avenue Thiers between the train station and Avenue Jean-Médecin (the street where the tram runs) … and down ONE of those closer to Jean-Médecin had one or two African-owned hair salons that also sold black hair-care products. Granted, this was about seven years ago, but I’ll bet at least one of them is still there. When you’ve got time during the day, take a stroll and see if you can find them.

I heard about them from one of the Arab guys who operated one of the Internet cafes right on Avenue Thiers near Avenue Jean-Médecin. I pointed to my curly twists and in my bad French, asked where i could find products for hair like mine.

BONNE CHANCE — and be sure to let me know if you find them. Enjoy fabulous Nice!

Cheers,